Jul 232012

We’ll be having our first big event in August! August 3rd to be exact- part of our city’s First Friday event. I’ll be sharing more details soon, but in the meantime I wanted one of the things I’ve been working on to prepare for the event!

diy business cards

There are many sites on the internet where you can design and order business cards. I spent much time looking at the options and finally decided to make my own. It was easy and fun. You could do similar things with invitations, save the dates, menus… many types of stationary. If you have any stationary needs and want to chat about some fun diy options, just send me an email at…

[ricedesignblog (at) gmail (dot) com]

I picked up some supplies for the business cards at our local Michael’s. I never shop at Michael’s without a coupon and you don’t have to either. I always pull up their website on my phone as I’m standing in line and pick out a coupon from their weekly ad. This week they had a 50% off one item coupon or 25% off your entire purchase, including sale items. Awesome!

So for my business cards, I got some card stock and a paper cutter (which is one of my new favorite crafting tools). They had a sale on all Fiskar items, so my $19.99 paper cutter was 50% off. Worth every penny. It’s so easy to use and it lets you see exactly where you’ll be cutting- a paper cutting dream. It’s the simple things in life, right?

I used Microsoft Word in the publishing layout view to design the text. I’d love to have a custom rubber stamp made, but that’s a little more pricey and seems like such a commitment! What if my email or something changes?!

Once my the text was designed, I copied and pasted it to fit as many times as possible on one page. I printed on a plain sheet of paper to double check everything, then printed on my nice card stock.

I used my paper cutter to cut out the text and also the larger rectangles of dark brown card stock (that kind of looked like paper bags- I love it).

I used my sewing machine to sew the white text rectangles onto the brown card stock.

Then I took some colored tape that I had laying around and made a stripe on the back to cover up the stitching.

Really easy. And definitely cheaper than cards I liked online that were $1.20/piece!

 July 23, 2012  Posted by at 11:35 diy

  2 Responses to “in August (and a little diy)…”

Comments (2)
  1. So neat!! I hope I’ll be able to stop by tomorrow at the Lady Jane. I love those wreaths!! (I’ve seen Becky’s.)

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.